Something to whet your palate: The gorgeous color palette of French macarons.

macarons

I’m pretty much obsessed with macarons. Last summer we went to Paris. It was the best vacation we’ve ever had. I was ready to pick up and move there. If it weren’t for our families and the petty but rather hindering language barrier I’d be there. One of the main reasons was the colorful and heavenly macarons. They were so stunningly beautiful and delectable. Aren’t they inspiring? The colors are to die for. I took tons of pictures of them. The ones above are from these fabulous establishments:

1 Paulette Macarons in Cali via happy cavalier.

2 Payard Patisserie in New York, Vegas, Tokyo…oh my.

3 Of course Laduree in Paris.

The history of the macaron via Nibble

6 Responses to Something to whet your palate: The gorgeous color palette of French macarons.

1. India January 11, 2008 at 3:49 pm #

Oh, you’re killing me. I love macaroons—all varieties and flavors—and I haven’t had lunch yet. Drool, drool.

Maybe I can stop by Roma Bakery and get some amaretti . . .

2. Samantha Hahn January 11, 2008 at 6:42 pm #

oh Roma….I’ll have to check them out. I know I just adore them too. I really really want some this weekend.

3. India January 12, 2008 at 12:02 am #

Do go. It’s called Caffe Roma, in truth, and it’s at the corner of Mulberry & Broome.

They make both plain and espresso amaretti. I prefer the subtlety of the plain ones, but I’m not a coffee drinker; if you like the taste of coffee, you may prefer the espresso.

The place is sort of gloomy, always looking like they’re about to close up shop, and the service is reluctant, at best. So unless that sort of atmosphere amuses you, I recommend getting a box of cookies to go, and then wolfing them down in a park or something.

4. Samantha Hahn January 12, 2008 at 10:18 am #

Ha!!! Will do.

5. Mary Jo January 12, 2008 at 5:48 pm #

Wow, Caffe Roma–a blast from the past! That was where my boyfriend and I hung out during film school. The cookies, (esp amaretti )and coffee are to die for–but the service was a little surly back then too…anyway, I love Laduree!! I dragged everyone there when I was in London. It’s heaven!

6. Samantha Hahn January 12, 2008 at 5:59 pm #

I guess I’m a bad New Yorker, so out of the loop. I’ve got to check out Caffe Roma. Can’t wait!!