Skinny La Minx

Heather of the fabulous Skinny LaMinx blog does everything. She designs beautiful textiles for her own etsy shop (I want the tea towels and pillow above). She also blogs on Elle Decor SA. To top it all off she’s an illustrator. A regular ol’ Renaissance woman. If you are not already subscribed to Skinny La Minx, you should really check it out. Also, I have an insider tip that she’ll be adding a new tea towel design to her shop today, Thursday! Act fast and check it out!

On another note:

new prints
Holly of the famous Decor8 was nice enough to post my patterns with an open call to her readers to weigh in on the surface and pattern design industry. Their comments were so helpful. I have to go out now and buy like 20 books and I also have to keep working on my designs and perhaps seek out a rep. Who knows. It’ll be a long and interesting hall. Holly is so amazing. It’s bloggers like her that make an art/design community…that’s what it’s all about in my opinion. Here are a couple of designs I just made.

11 Responses to Skinny LaMinx: Blog, Elle Decor SA, & Etsy shop. Plus my new patterns and Decor8’s post.

1. jen March 20, 2008 at 10:47 am #

love the dragonfly and key design.

2. Samantha Hahn March 20, 2008 at 10:50 am #

Thank you!!!

3. Gina March 20, 2008 at 3:07 pm #

I found your blog thru Decor8’s post on surface design. I am the Show Manager of SURTEX, which is a trade show for the selling and licensing of art and design for every product surface. If you are looking to make connections with manufacturers of various products from home textiles to paper to just about anything this is the perfect Show at which to exhibit. If you are interested feel free to contact me and/or visit our web site http://www.surtex.com for more info. It is annual show and it will take place May 18-20, 2008 at the Javits Center in NYC.

4. Lara March 20, 2008 at 7:19 pm #

Hello! I also found you via Decor8 and Holly’s lovely post! I definitely think you should look into short run yardage printing via a company like Zoo Ink

That is, if you’re happy to pare your patterns down to just 1 or 2 colours. Myself and a few other Australian textile designers use a yardage printer here in Melbourne and we love the level of control we get from the process (although not as much as if we did it ourselves!) and the fact that you get to really build your own label.

5. Samantha Hahn March 21, 2008 at 2:32 pm #

thank you all so much. I will follow up on all of these things. I appreciate your comments soo very much! I just made lots of new patterns if you want to see they’re on flickr. Hopefully I’ll get to do something with them. I’m def. going to Surtex but not with a booth, I think I need to get more feedback before I plunk down 3k for the booth and cost of producing samples. I do want to find a rep though. I’ll bring a portfolio to Surtex…for starters.

6. Sarah March 24, 2008 at 7:15 pm #

Hey! I too found your site through decor8. I love your work, especially your patterns! In fact, I’m actually a senior at Syracuse majoring in Surface/Pattern Design.

7. Samantha Hahn March 24, 2008 at 8:40 pm #

Hey Sarah, I wish I could rewind and be in your shoes. I loved studying illustration at Syracuse. It was a great program. I just wish I had take surface and textile design also. Now I have to learn the program to make my work into true repeats. I’m working around the clock while I’m on break from the day job. How do you guys do it at school? Is there a guide book or rule of thumb about sizes etc.? Thanks so much for the compliments. Stay tuned, I’ll post my “real repeats” soon. Enjoy a beautiful upstate spring. You must be ready for it after a long gray winter!!

8. Sarah March 24, 2008 at 11:00 pm #

Well, sure, there are different types of repeats (straight, half drop, ogee, turn-around, etc.) Sizes vary but when we create our renderings, they usually measure an extra 2″ all around the main module. Of course we also have to keep in mind the “railroadability” of the design and avoid tracking. Do you get my meaning? If you have other questions, feel free to send me an email. I can’t wait to see more of your designs!
    P.S. When did you graduate?

9. Samantha Hahn March 24, 2008 at 11:16 pm #

Thanks so much Sarah. The designs you saw of mine we’re all helter skelter. I just made new files with the main element at the size I want it and now I’ll learn the software and play with the various types of repeats. Glad you put a name on them. I just got a textiles handbook, it’s looking daunting. I’m hoping I’ll be able to pick it all up.

I graduated in 2001…I’m old huh!? Would love to see your work if you want to send it over, or if you have flickr let me know…thanks Sarah! So nice to meet you.

10. Teresa (good grace) March 28, 2008 at 10:04 am #

Samantha ~ Not sure if this is where I should post this, but after I saw a post over on the HowAboutOrange blog, I thought I needed to point you to that specific post b/c she just finished a run of fabrics based on her art. She points to some good info (one is the Decor8 post) and the follow up comments also have some good info. I’d love to see some of your work made into textiles!! (http://howaboutorange.blogspot.com/2008/03/useful-design-related-info.html)

11. Samantha Hahn March 28, 2008 at 4:55 pm #

Theresa, thank you so much for the heads up. That’s a great blog for me to subscribe to, I am now. She has some great work and info. Thank you so much for passing the info over to me. I plan to show my new designs before next weekend. I just learned the software to make them into real repeats that companies could use for whatever they like. I’m working night and day….hopefully the outcome will be good.