my other life

teaching

In addition to illustration and pattern making, I’m an art teacher. I absolutely love it. There are tough days of course but I work with a wonderful age group 5 yr-8yr old. Kids are wonderfully creative and so fascinating to be around. Sometimes I come home exhausted but I get revived by doing my own artwork. The school year is wrapping up. Here are some really nice letters I received and some cute photos of some first graders displaying their giant ice cream cone painted sculptures. One of the letters is from one of my favorite kindergarten kids about the time I was “apsint” (absent). I was at Surtex. I think that’s me in the garden. Nice attention to detail, he added roots on the flowers and my curly hair. The sweet one on top required a little phonetic translation, “lick”= like, “droing”= drawing, “pating”= painting. I chopped the photos to protect the kid’s secret identities. They’re super heroes in their other lives.

Have a lovely weekend.
xo,
-Samantha (aka Ms. Hahn)

6 Responses to my other life

1. yasmine June 6, 2008 at 5:46 pm #

oh you’re a teacher?! that’s my other dream job 🙂

aw, and that’s such a super cute sweet letter!

2. Samantha Hahn June 6, 2008 at 6:45 pm #

Thanks Yasmine, they make me smile. It’s a wonderful job. I just wish I could forego sleep and do art all night and teaching in the day. Plus a little jogging, biking, and lounging around would be fun. Sleep is such a bothersome need. I love your newest prints btw. Oh and I owe you a letter….I’ll write back this coming weekend. Have a great Fri. night!

3. decor8 Holly June 6, 2008 at 6:56 pm #

Dear Ms. Hahn,

Thank you for being who you are. You inspire me through your giving spirit, your work, and now I am even more amazed reading this post because to think you are bringing your talent to little minds is quite lovely. You told me that you were a teacher, but I guess seeing these photos makes it even more real to me. All of these children will forever remember their creative and kind art teacher. 🙂

I never forgot my art teachers, to this day I still remember them by name and exactly what they taught me and how they encouraged me. I even remember certain things that they said to me, some of these things I still draw encouragement from when I have an “I hate my work” day. Art was always my favorite class.

So Ms. Hahn (I just love saying that), have a great weekend and know that you have your little fans at school, and your bigger fans online (like me) who find happiness through your creations.

Yours Truly,
    Miss Holly

4. Samantha Hahn June 6, 2008 at 7:07 pm #

Oh Holly, that is the sweetest comment ever. Thank YOU so much. Compliments mean the world to me coming from you, one of my biggest online inspirations. You amaze me everyday with your creativity, giving spirit, support, and ability to aggregate the most beautiful art and design in the world on your incredible blog and in your life that you are so open to sharing with your admirers.

5. AdamX June 7, 2008 at 6:48 pm #

How Cute!

6. Samantha Hahn June 7, 2008 at 7:06 pm #

There you are!!! I thought I lost you. I was just thinking about you. You were a Maquette friend from the beginning. Nice to see you again!