Eloise Corr Danch

My friend Eloise who I’ve mentioned here, has an amazing show at the Anthropologie at Rockefeller Center. She created a 50 pound paper dress based on the one in Valazquez’s “Las Meninas”, a painting that has always intrigued me due to all of the symbolism and iconography.

To read more about the incredible Eloise and this artwork, read Time Out New York’s blurb and see their photos. The ones above were taken by Eloise herself.

We’ve been trying to get together since Surtex and have only seen each other once at her b’day party because of busy schedules but maybe when her hands recover from all the paper cuts…we’ll catch up. Here’s what I made her for her b’day.

You’re amazing Eloise!

*Be Green: You can click on yellowpages goes green to enter your address for them to stop sending you the big books. Who even uses yellowpages anymore, everything you need is online. We don’t even have a drawer of chinese take-out menus anymore. We just look for their numbers online. It’s super easy, click the link, enter your address, and you will no longer receive yellow or white pages!

7 Responses to Eloise Corr Danch: Life-size period costume dress made of paper, based on Valasquez’s “Las Meninas” painting

1. yasmine June 27, 2008 at 12:21 am #

gorgeous! you’ve got a very talented friend!

and yeah, i don’t get the yellow pages anymore. actually, i told them to take my name off their list. i even have less junk mail now.

2. Samantha Hahn June 27, 2008 at 5:08 am #

smart girl. i just found out about getting our address off the list.

3. jen June 27, 2008 at 10:32 am #

I seriously can not get over how amazing that dress is. The work on her website is just stunning.
    The link to her b-day gift goes to private flickr page warning.
    I just another yellow pages a few days ago, so I signed up. I signed up for greendimes a few months ago as well, it does seem to cut down the junk mail.

4. Samantha Hahn June 27, 2008 at 11:30 am #

thanks for letting me know about the link….

I know that paper dress is unbelievable. It’s hard to imagine how she did it. I should tell her to make a video next time. It would be cool to watch the dress develop in quick time.

5. Ellen Shapiro December 7, 2010 at 8:20 am #

Greetings,
    I’m working on a post for Print Magazine’s IMPRINT
    on art inspired by Las Meninas. May I use a photo of the paper dress and part of your story?

6. Samantha Hahn December 7, 2010 at 7:40 pm #

sure, let me know when the story is printed. Best!

7. Samantha Hahn December 7, 2010 at 8:38 pm #