Festive necklace DIY

felt necklace

ribbon necklace2

I thought it would be fun to fiddle around with soft materials to make some accessories. I came up with a few simple ways to make necklaces/headbands/belts. Here’s how I did it if you want to make one yourself. Maybe you can wear it to a holiday party or give it to a friend. Hey, you could even wrap a gift with one. I’ll just give you a few simple steps, the rest will require experimentation and trusting your own creative instincts.

• Step 1: wrap a wire with a ribbon. Start with one tip and fold the ribbon around it and tie into a bow then proceed to wrap the whole ribbon like a maypole and when you get to the other end repeat the first step.
  • step 2: Cut felt shapes and sew them together in an interesting configuration. Periodically hold your shapes up to ribboned wire to make sure it’ll be able to be sewn on easily.
  • step 3: Once your shapes are sewn together sew parts of them onto the ribbon, et voila

…if you want to do solely ribbons, no sewing, I just tied bows on to the ribboned wire in select places and on each end so a big bow will tie the ends together around your neck, waist, or head.

If you want to be a whack-ado like me, try to make this one that’s really bow heavy and festive. I went a little nuts with the ribbon but it was fun:
ribbon necklace

13 Responses to Festive necklace DIY

1. chelsea November 23, 2008 at 9:42 pm #

You are so clever! I love them both but the 3rd one has me swooning. I love pink sattin ribbons:)

2. Samantha Hahn November 23, 2008 at 10:07 pm #

oh thanks Chelsea!!! They were so fun and simple to make. I can imagine the third one as a wedding hair accessory if the bows were all on one side?!

3. lisa November 24, 2008 at 12:14 am #

ooooh, LOVE the ribbons!

4. Samantha Hahn November 24, 2008 at 7:27 am #

Thanks Lisa!!!! o easy….so fun to make…

5. Robyn November 24, 2008 at 3:52 pm #

The best ribbon headband is still the one you made out of all the old Clay Pot ribbons for my 28th birthday!

6. Samantha Hahn November 24, 2008 at 3:58 pm #

Ha! I was thinking about that one today. We have a really adorable picture of you in it!!!! Can you believe you’re gonna be 30 so soon?!

7. yasmine November 25, 2008 at 8:26 pm #

the ribbon ones are so pretty!!! you’re so good with crafts samantha πŸ™‚

i’m also designing so many bow accessories right now, i can’t even believe how many bow variations there are out there.

8. Samantha Hahn November 25, 2008 at 8:58 pm #

thanks Yasmine!!! Glad you like! Did you see I tagged you to tell us what things make you happy?

What kinds of bow accessories are you making? You mean like prints with bows on them? Or actual crafty stuff???

You have to come visit Brooklyn so we can make something fun together!

9. yasmine November 25, 2008 at 9:33 pm #

oh yeah! i was going to post my tagged answers with my “i’m on vacation” post today or tomorrow πŸ˜› i have 6 answers instead of 5. it’s an OCD thing.

oh, and re: bows, i’m an accessory designer by day (and night), and i’ve pretty much made huge bows my staple πŸ™‚ i haven’t made one in a crafty way for so long! though a bow repeat does sound cute…

10. Samantha Hahn November 25, 2008 at 9:40 pm #

I want to see some Yasmine accessories….
    why did I think you did surface pattern full time? I’m missing out on Yasmine the renaissance woman….can I see your accessories?!

11. yasmine November 26, 2008 at 2:26 am #

oops. it was 6 unimportant things anyway πŸ˜› i’ll email you my work πŸ™‚

12. mer December 1, 2008 at 7:21 pm #

can’t wait to try it! thanks for stopping by πŸ™‚

13. Samantha Hahn December 1, 2008 at 8:34 pm #

your blog is adorable!!! I subscribed.