print source april 2009
Jessica Gonacha & Milk Shake Crafts & Daisy Janie booth

Last week I exhibited my work at a surface pattern trade show here in my home town, New York. It was a new experience. I did Surtex last year and really enjoyed it. I made some great contacts and have done some fun work for clients since. I’m still new to all of this though. It’s been only a year.

I decided to try Print Source. It’s more of an apparel/home decor show. I’m glad I did it but learned a lot that I’d do differently for next time. I had so much work and put it up all around my booth. Next time I would make a few large prints and then have all of my prints in little books with categories like home decor, apparel, conversational (paper product). I’m a jump both feet in kind of girl so I had to learn this by doing the show. I can’t wait to show you how some of my prints will be used. Stay tuned for that.

I had the immense privilege of being stationed near some fabulous designers/woman. It was an amazing experience to be surrounded by support and encouragement. We all loved each other’s work and gave feedback on it. It the first show of its kind for all of us. Jessica Gonacha (treasuring blog), who has guest blogged here at Maquette, was in my line of vision, so we’d make happy faces at each other when our booth had visitors, and directly across from me, Milkshake Crafts and Daisy Janie shared a booth. Not only did their booth provide me with eye candy, they supplied me with amazing trail mix for lunch each day. Sara Schmidt was across from me as well. I will post about her work soon too.

After the show, we all went out to dinner and gabbed about surface pattern design and life as an artist/a million other things. It’s incredible to be around passionate artists. At home most of my friends are not pursuing the arts so being around these women going after their goals was fantastic. We’re all going to stay in touch and share what we know and learn along the way. You have to check out their blogs and work!!!

30 Responses to The Print Source show: My booth, Jessica Gonacha, Milkshake Crafts, Daisy Janie, & Sara Schmidt

1. daisy janie : scoutie girl January 18, 2009 at 11:50 pm #

Such a great post! These images are forever burned on my brain – so glad they look as good in pics as they do in my head (everything is perfecto in there). I’ll be the first in line to buy your _________ at ___________ when it’s released!!

Have a great week!
    jan

2. Sam January 19, 2009 at 4:46 am #

Sounds like you had a joyous day! Love the booths – they look great!

3. Samantha Hahn January 19, 2009 at 8:29 am #

Thanks Jan!!! I’m so excited about that one…..I hope many more come for both of us!!

4. Samantha Hahn January 19, 2009 at 8:30 am #

Thanks so much Sam…we did have fun…I’m so happy I met these talented women!

5. Cicada Studio January 19, 2009 at 8:41 am #

It was great fun to meet you all at Printsource- how nice to see your work up close and personal, too!

6. Samantha Hahn January 19, 2009 at 11:13 am #

It was really nice meeting you too! Albeit for such a short time. I can’t wait to peruse your blog and site now….

7. sewbettie January 19, 2009 at 11:32 am #

can’t wait to hear more about how your prints will be used. i’m thinking of doing printsource at some point so it is great to hear about your adventure.

8. Samantha Hahn January 19, 2009 at 11:36 am #

oh you should do it….
    your prints are great!

9. Mary Jo January 19, 2009 at 12:22 pm #

I was thinking about you, hoping it was going well for you. Your booth looks amazing–wish I could’ve dropped in! Well, you will have to tell me more about how it went Sam. Fingers crossed it was a success, as I’m sure it was!

xo Mary Jo

10. Samantha Hahn January 19, 2009 at 12:58 pm #

thanks MJM…
    made some great contacts that I really need to follow up with asap! Also sold a couple of prints on the spot which was fantastic! I’ll tell you more about that soon.

11. Dallas January 19, 2009 at 1:18 pm #

Congrats same- looks like fun. I have never done a show- I usually just do galleries. Can you recommend a good show for me? (for the 09 tees, cards, etc)?

12. samantha hahn January 19, 2009 at 2:49 pm #

probably the gift show? I think you should research it but that seems like a really good fit. I bet you’d be a big big hit!

13. yasmine January 19, 2009 at 3:21 pm #

oh neat!!! your booths look so awesome!!!

14. samantha hahn January 19, 2009 at 3:31 pm #

Thanks Yas…
    your ears must be burning. I’m laying out the love book right now and just entered your info onto the contributor page…

15. Michelle January 19, 2009 at 6:33 pm #

Yeah, I have been wondering how Jess did, what a cute photo! Your booths look great!

16. lisa January 19, 2009 at 11:48 pm #

Fantastic – all your patterns look fab displayed like that. Pattern overload! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences of the show.

17. Samantha Hahn January 20, 2009 at 7:24 am #

Thanks Lisa!!!!!

18. jess gonacha January 20, 2009 at 9:08 am #

yay yay yay!! i love reading all these posts that we all wrote. i miss you all terribly… 🙁

19. samanthahahn January 20, 2009 at 10:24 am #

the feeling it mutual girlie….wish we were all neighbors and could support each other the way we did at the show. It was so empowering to be around all of you so fervently pursing your goals. Love it.

20. sara schmidt January 20, 2009 at 1:28 pm #

i am so impressed with all of your blogs! it was fantastic meeting you samantha and all the other lovely ladies around us. good luck to you all + hope to see you soon in new york again.
    xx, the blogless, sara

21. Samantha Hahn January 20, 2009 at 1:30 pm #

thanks Sara…I’m so excited to post about you and your quilt. Can you send me a photo of and and some info on the project and anything else you’d want to share with my readers? Please come back soon for a visit and keep in touch about all of your artistic doings especially in the surface pattern world. You took the show by storm! XO.

22. Lisa {milkshake} January 20, 2009 at 1:37 pm #

So, so happy to have met all of you. Your booth looked fabulous, Sam. Thanks for the wonderful dinner recommendation 🙂

23. Samantha Hahn January 20, 2009 at 1:39 pm #

it’s a bonafide love fest….
    I see great prospects in all of our futures….near futures! Please keep me posted on all of the good things!

I agree the dinner was perfect…perfect company…perfect food.

24. Design for Mankind January 22, 2009 at 12:52 pm #

i’m so proud of you– and so glad you got to be near jess. isn’t she a dear? you two are meant for each other. 🙂 [but with me, too! ha!]

p.s. your booth looks GREAT!!!

25. Samantha Hahn January 22, 2009 at 12:53 pm #

thanks Er.

We commented on each other’s blogs at the same time. Strange. Yes, Jessica is genius. I adore her and wish we all lived next door to eachother. We’re going to stay in touch though!

26. sidsel January 25, 2009 at 6:24 pm #

Your booth looks so fresh and fun – thanks for sharing your experience and best wishes for a great 2009 to you 🙂

27. Samantha Hahn January 25, 2009 at 6:40 pm #

oh thanks so much. That means so much coming from *talented* you!! I wish you all the happiness and luck this year too!

28. Alexwebmaster March 3, 2009 at 7:14 am #

Hello webmaster
    I would like to share with you a link to your site
    write me here preonrelt@mail.ru

29. monice morenz April 8, 2010 at 3:15 pm #

Samantha,

I enjoy your designs. This year I plan to visit Printsource to see if my art /designs would fit the show. Any comments on how many artists sell art during the show and for what price?
    I always thought licenced art was to path. Any thoughts?

Take Care
    Monice

30. Samantha Hahn April 9, 2010 at 8:27 pm #

Printsource is mostly about selling though you may get some licensing opportunities through contacts you make. Be certain to get people’s cards and follow up, having a mailing list on the table etc. Mostly prints sell from $450-$600. Good luck to you!!!