Mysterious letters to everyone in the world + amazing stop motion animation

mysterious letters to everyone in the world

Imagine deciding to write a personal and unique letter to everyone in the world… Lenka & Michael did just that, here’s what they have to say about it, “In April 2009, we sent a personal, handwritten letter to each of the 467 households in the small Irish village of Cushendall. We hoped these unsolicited letters would prompt neighbourly discussion, spreading across the town, promoting community curiosity.” To see the letters larger and be able to read them more clearly click this.

via Mirabel Press

I have to link to this incredible stop motion animation. 60,000 pictures shot, 9,600 prints developed, and more than 1,800 pictures shot again. No post production!

This weekend we’re going to visit my aunt and uncle in Gloucester Mass (where the Perfect Storm took place). We’ll go to the beach for long walks, to a lobster pound so that my dad can teach my husband how to eat a lobster the New England style, we’ll take an outdoor shower (really nothing is better), and we’ll enjoy being away from the city a bit. It will be hard for me not to be working on art stuff and checking email and blogs but it will also be really really good for me to take a little break… I think. I have a couple of posts lined up for Mon-Tues, till I get back. Then I’ll post some pictures from the trip. Have a great weekend yourselves. XO.

6 Responses to Mysterious letters to everyone in the world + amazing stop motion animation

1. lisa July 10, 2009 at 11:25 am #

that letter project just blew my mind. can you imagine? how amazing!

have a woooonderful time in MA, we’ll have to catch up when you get back. xo

2. Samantha Hahn July 10, 2009 at 11:31 am #

thanks so much Lisa!!! I will.

I know I can’t imagine writing to everyone in only one small town. I wonder how far they’ll get with this…..pretty cool! I hope they choose Brooklyn next.

Yes, get together really soon!
    XO

3. xine July 11, 2009 at 5:29 pm #

The thing that interests me most about this is small and strange – I’m surprised there were actual full-on addresses if it’s such a small town. My aunts and uncles are all in small towns in Ireland, and half of them don’t have proper house numbers or anything. The postman is so local that he just knows, OK, this house on Ballygar Road is Matt & Ann’s, this house is Mattie & Mary’s, etc… I guess they live in smaller towns than Cushendall!

4. samantha hahn July 11, 2009 at 8:11 pm #

who knows maybe they’ll get letters in their town next!!!!!!!??

5. Carla | Green and Chic July 12, 2009 at 2:29 am #

I wonder where I would find the time to write personal letters to everyone in my area! That is amazing. 🙂

6. samantha hahn July 12, 2009 at 10:47 am #

maybe they will start a trend and other people and other parts of the country and world will start writing to eachother!?!