What do you create?

paint brushes

Hello again readers, I’m very happy to be back- posting on Maquette. I have a lot of fun autumn plans including setting up our new apartment and sharing that process with you. I’m also having a solo show at Gallery Hanahou. I can’t wait to show you more on that. I’ve been working on lots of fun freelance projects too that I’ll share here. I would love it though if you would share your work with me.

Tell me dear readers, what kind of art or craft do you do? Are you a professional artist or do you make art just for fun? Or perhaps are you just an admirerer of art? I’d love to know more about you. Please leave a comment and share your link or tell me what you love to do, make and create.

32 Responses to What do you create?

1. sarah louise laws August 3, 2011 at 4:18 pm #

hi samantha! i love reading your blog and am always inspired by your work and posts. i do paper cut works (with an x-acto knife) i just wrapped up a 19-piece solo show here in portland oregon (see more at http://www.louiselaws.com) and while someday i hope to make art full time, right i am a color designer for footwear! happy summer to you!

2. Samantha Hahn August 3, 2011 at 4:32 pm #

oh wow….lovely and unusual work. Must be so labor intensive. I hope you do get to go fulltime…but in the meantime your job sounds like fun.

3. Kelsey August 4, 2011 at 6:56 am #

Samantha! just saying hello.
    I’m a huge fan of your work (especially the watercolor lettering).
    I’m an australian twentysomething, drawer, photographer and writer in spare time – trying to figure out how on earth to make these things my day job. I’ve put up a few things at kelseybayecooke.tumblr.com… But I’m a bigger blog reader than publisher. Always reading and loving your work!

4. Samantha Hahn August 4, 2011 at 8:25 am #

Kelsey, thanks so much for sharing. I’m going to check your tumblr. I don’t know what advice I can give you about making one of those your day job. Keep pushing, explore every avenue and when you start getting traction in one….push even harder. If you want it badly enough, you can make it happen!

5. Michelle August 4, 2011 at 9:02 am #

Hi Samantha,
    I really love your blog and your work. I am so sorry to hear about your father’s passing.
    In addition to being an art therapist, I also draw, paint, sew, and make jewelry. I also play a little guitar, and piano, and the greatest thing I’ve “made” to date is my little girl, who is 4 months old!

6. Cyndi Pfeiffer August 4, 2011 at 9:03 am #

Hi Samantha! I have been following you for a while and Iam also a big fan of your lettering. I create a variety of things… mixed media collages, hand painted plates, cute illustrations, journaling, hand painted banners,etc… Iam currently looking at website to showcase my work so I can try art licensing!
    Check out by Blog: http://cyndilou.blogspot.com/,
    Iam on facebook as CyndiLou!

7. Samantha Hahn August 4, 2011 at 9:07 am #

8. Samantha Hahn August 4, 2011 at 9:08 am #

wow Michelle, how creative are you? Not to mention busy. Congratulations on your daughter. How sweet. Not to be cliche but time flies. She’ll be crawling and walking and talking before you know it! I hope you will always make time for creating things you love. Soon you and your little one will do it together.

9. Samantha Hahn August 4, 2011 at 9:08 am #

I’ll definitely check your blog out Cyndi. That’s exciting that you are venturing into licensing. I love licensing my work. It’s so fun seeing it on surfaces other than paper.

10. Melanie August 4, 2011 at 9:22 am #

I’m a doctoral student in history, so I like to create research papers and syllabi. I love that my work gives me the opportunity to create narratives and interpretations, as well as the flexibility to develop new ways to explore ideas based on where my students are at. No day of work is ever the same, and I love that when I teach, my students and I create something together.
    In my free time, I like to create really ugly baked goods (as long as it tastes good, right?) and do free style embroidery. Anything to bring some color and texture into my life. Your work has made me want to try watercolors- I have the 3 print series you had at Shiny Squirrel and they are such an inspiration!

11. Samantha Hahn August 4, 2011 at 9:51 am #

Melanie,

I’m so flattered that you have some of my pieces in your collection. I admire teachers so much. I taught for 7 years. This coming year I’m only teaching once a week but I still love it. It sounds like you are so passionate about what you do. It’s wonderful though that you have some time to do your personal creative work. Freestyle embroidery sounds so cool and I totally agree that baked goods should be judged on how they taste above all else. Definitely try watercolor. It’s a really fun medium especially when you are not expecting anything. Go in with a plan to experiment and have fun and in the process you will learn how to use them.

12. JWK August 4, 2011 at 3:17 pm #

I’m a lover of art and give it a go once in awhile! Can’t wait to see your upcoming projects, glad you’re back!!

13. Naomi August 4, 2011 at 11:39 pm #

Hi Samantha,
    Believe it or not even I have an answer to your question. I made a dress, something I haven’t done in literally decades. It’s a sixties-style shift, made with fabric from Ikea. The pattern is current, not vintage. How do I send you a picture?

14. kristin August 5, 2011 at 7:24 pm #

It’s good to see you back! I’m a lover of all crafty things, but mostly, I love flowers. I’ve been working a lot on designing my first garden. I can’t wait till everything grows up and in. I also try to do a lot of stuff as cheaply as I can, so I do a lot of DIY projects. Oh and I’m kinda sorta thinking about starting a little business selling crocheted rugs. A little old lady taught me how to make them years ago and it’s been in the back of my mind since then. I’m making some to start, but I find that sometimes I can really procrastinate on a project when I’m not really sure where I’m going with it or if it’s going to be successful. I get nervous about things like that. Did you ever have those feelings before starting your art?

15. Samantha Hahn August 5, 2011 at 10:00 pm #

Kristin, thanks for the kind words. I’m happy to be back. I’m in awe of gardeners. My mom has a stunning garden. It takes a vision, cultivation and so much labor but wow is it beautiful. In terms of your crochet work I agree that you want feedback from peers. Maybe open an etsy shop and reach out to some crafty blogs to share your work and shop link. You never know what’s going to be a hit. Start with something you love doing. If crocheting is that thing, make it work for you! You might be able to get them sold in small boutiques in your area or online shops if you don’t want to sell them yourself. There are so many possibilities!

16. Joanne August 5, 2011 at 11:01 pm #

I found your watercolor “Burden” a while ago while I was still teaching Fashion Illustration at SU — fell in love with your style (and the SU Alum connection). I love doing watercolors and figure drawing for personal work but have worked in other industries and as an adjunct for income while my children went to school. In 2009 I was inspired to make a small line of personalized cloth books , banners and cards from my tightly illustrated children’s alphabet. I contribute monthly to OhMy!HandmadeGoodness ‘ blog. I so admire and respect your portfolio quality, volume and city life!

17. Shelley August 6, 2011 at 2:57 am #

hello Samantha,
    i’ve been following your blog for awhile now, and don’t remember if i’ve commented yet or not.. but i love your work and your blog. i was sorry to hear about your father’s passing.. i hope you and your family are holding up alright.
    i’m a mixed media collage artist + illustrator + designer + gardener + mom living in LA.. thanks for having such an inspirational place to visit now and then!

18. Samantha Hahn August 6, 2011 at 1:03 pm #

Hi Shelley,

nice to meet you. Thanks for the compliments. Happy to have you as a reader. Sounds like you are busily creating lots of your own work!

19. Samantha Hahn August 6, 2011 at 1:05 pm #

Hi Joanne, Nice to meet a fellow SU person. Would love to see your work. Can you comment here with a link to it? Sounds so interesting.

20. Kevin August 6, 2011 at 5:58 pm #

Hi, Samantha

I am a University student studding theater design specifically lighting design where my interest lies. I have been reading your blog for a coup months after finding your work on other art blogs. I love your water colors and your use of color and light is really beautiful.

21. Erin August 9, 2011 at 7:50 am #

I am an aspiring textile/pattern designer in the midwest; I can’t remember how I came across your blog, but I love your style. I went to art school, and when I graduated I got a job at a big corporate company, nothing too creative. I am working on getting out of that job and doing something I love on my own!

22. Samantha Hahn August 9, 2011 at 8:47 am #

Hi Erin,

I urge you to look for a career path that fulfills you creatively, intellectually and emotionally. It’s so hard to re-invent yourself but if you are unhappy in your corporate environment and crave a creative life you can make that happen! It might take some serious hard work and even sacrifice but in the end you’ll be happy you did it! If you get your work up on a site please send the link! Best of luck and thanks for sharing.
    XO, Sam

23. Shira & Drew August 10, 2011 at 7:39 pm #

hey cousin –
    i love you so much and think about you every day, if not every minute. i always read your blog before but with recent events find myself here every day. it’s nice to be connected, albeit virtually.
    my sewing picked up this year and I have made just a few clothing items. mostly cutesy textiles for our apartment, and as you know, gazilions of fabric flowers for bouquets.
    drew’s artwork has reached a great new level. he loves the book “street art cookbook” and it has taught him some amazing new techniques with his comic-style collaging and stenciling.
    I’ll send you a picture of a new piece he’s been working on once it’s done. It’s for our new apartment.
    Love you bunches,
    Shira

24. Samantha Hahn August 10, 2011 at 7:42 pm #

Love you more, dear Shira. Would love to see Drew’s work. I know you guys are super busy but you should think about an etsy shop with one of a kind flowers. Brides would go mad for them. Or flower headpieces. Have you seen Ban.do? Check them out. You’ll freak. Oh wait, did I show you them on Thanksgiving? I think I might have. Anyway, you two are so talented and creative. I’m so happy you are there to challenge and encourage each other. Miss you so much. So sad. Miss my dad so much. Happy though that your folks are coming to spend some time with my mom and Henry while we are moving. I can’t believe we’re moving this Friday. Eek. You will have to come and visit NYC. We’ll have a pull out sofa for mom and other guests. xO.

25. Emily August 10, 2011 at 9:56 pm #

I design children’s products! I work for Mudpuppy and have loved to see your beautiful illustrations bring our products to life. For personal fun, I also keep a blog called short story design (http://shortstorydesign.blogspot.com) where I post about things I see and I do. xo

26. Samantha Hahn August 11, 2011 at 8:44 am #

Emily,
    Thanks for stopping in! I looooove Galison and Mudpuppy. I hope to work with you again so soon. I don’t think we met when I stopped into the Stationery show? It was a whirlwind but everyone on the whole creative team is so nice and warm. I send Juanita and Cynthia new work and hopefully they will use it for upcoming seasons. It must be such a great work environment and you all do such a beautiful job with the design work.

Your blog is so sweet. I subscribed. You make me want to go back to San Fran for a visit.

If you are around on September 22nd, come to my solo show at Gallery Hanahou. I will send you more info and post more about that soon. I’d love to meet you.

All my best,
    Samantha

27. Emily August 14, 2011 at 6:05 pm #

Hi Samantha,

No, I don’t think we met at the Stationery Show. The design team takes shifts at the booth, so I likely wasn’t there at the time. I’d love to see your show at the Gallery Hanahou. It’s in my calendar now! All the best to you…

xo, Emily

28. Shayna Roosevelt September 14, 2011 at 2:44 pm #

Hi Samantha,

I’m an illustrator, designer, trend forecaster, former painter and general crafter. Currently I’m a partner at Room Creative where we license our work to mass-market retailers.

I’m working on getting my personal portfolio put together. I’m trying to figure out how to build a collection of work that reflects my own perspective and style…not easy after spending years working for other folk.

I love your illustrations and style. All the best with your solo show!

29. Samantha Hahn September 14, 2011 at 2:48 pm #

Sounds great Shayna. Good luck. Give yourself time to show your work to clients. Get a feel for their reactions and trust your instincts about your work and what people will want to see more of. Take a walk around Surtex and the Stationery show or even the licensing show here in New York.

30. jennifer September 16, 2011 at 11:13 pm #

Hi Samantha,

I am a printmaker and illustrator. My partner is also a ceramic artist and he and I have a line of collaborative works (housewares, vessels, etc.) and I love having that outlet as well.
    After taking a 2 year break off of school to live in Italy, I am back finishing up my degree (at art school, Printmaking major, material arts minor).
    While it’s not always easy, I am really grateful to be on this path, doing what I love and what makes me happy.

thanks for your interest in your readers :).

best wishes,

jennifer

31. Allie September 17, 2011 at 11:35 am #

hello! i’m a writer/poet/photographer kind of gal, more emphasis on the words than the pictures. i just started following and i’m doing my new-follower ritual of going a while back in time and looking at the posts.
    so yeah, just wanted to drop by and say hi, awesome blog!

32. Samantha Hahn September 17, 2011 at 8:56 pm #

Jennifer, thank you for sharing. That’s so cool that you collaborate with a partner doing what you love.