I’m enamoured with Kelly’s fabulous blog Eat Make Read. Just look at this amazing popcorn recipe. I definitely want to make it and have a movie party at my apartment. I feel like once I make it I’ll get some ideas for other kinds of crazy popcorns to make. Wouldn’t it be fun to challenge guests to each bring a homemade/made-up popcorn to a movie party? You could have a little tasting with some prosecco. I think prosecco would go well. Or make it the real movie experience and have soda?
from 101 cookbooks | Make 4 quarts of popcorn
4 quarts freshly popped popcorn*
1/3 cup butter, melted
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice
1/2 teaspoon lime zest
1 teaspoon tequila
1/2 small jalapeno, seeds and membrane removes, minced
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon ground cumin
Preheat the oven to 300F degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with foil or a silicone baking mat (hs note: or unbleached parchment paper). Set aside.
- Put the popcorn in a large, clean paper bag (I used a ziploc).
- In a medium-size bowl whisk together the butter, lime juice and zest, and tequila. Add the jalapeno.
- In a small bowl combine the black pepper, salt, red pepper, and cumin.
- Drizzle half of the butter mixture over the popcorn, fold over the top of the bag, and shake until the popcorn is coated and moist. Taste. Add more of the butter mixture if you like, and give a second shake. Sprinkle (most of) the pepper mixture over the popcorn, fold over the top of the bag, and shake a few times to coat. Taste, and if you’d like more pepper flavor add the rest of it.
- Spread the popcorn evenly over the baking sheet and bake until the popcorn is dry, five to seven minutes.
*To pop 4 quarts of popcorn, heat 1/4 cup clarified butter, coconut oil, or olive oil in a deep pot over medium heat. Add a few kernels to the pot. Once they pop, add 3/4 cup popcorn kernels and shake the pot until they cover the pot evenly. Cover the pot and shake intermittently until the popping slows to 5 seconds between pops. Remove the popcorn from heat and transfer it to whatever bag you are going to use for tossing.