big spring bags

Last weekend I went to a baby shower for the fabulous Abbey and got into a conversation with Lina and Joanna about big bags. Actually the topic arose around diaper bags and how they sometimes look juvenile. We all wondered why having a baby should mean a woman wants to carry around a babyish looking bag adorned with bows and kiddy prints. We decided that a big bag can be glamorous and functional for diapers, groceries, or anything else one might like to tote.

My problem is that my phone gets lost in the sea of wallets, journals, pens, books, and lip gloss floating around in my midsized purse. I’d like to get one of these gorgeous big ones but would have to swear to choose a pocket to stick my cell into and responsibly return it to that pocket after calls (for my husband’s sanity and my own).

Like the featured bags above? Here’s where you can pick them up:

1. Orla Kiely Perforated Leather Bucket Bag via Twig
  2. Moop The Organic Market Bag (a favorite of Joanna’s. Thanks for pointing it out this fabulous bag)
  3. Hable Construction Leather-Handled Watermelon Checker Overnight Tote
  4. Jack Gomme Empreinte Shopper bag
  5. Le Sportsac Fifi Lapin bag (been meaning to post about this for a while. I’m a big fifi fan. I even have a fifi print in my apt from a couple of years ago)
  6. Kate Spade Thompson Street Noel Stevie bag

9 Responses to Big spring bag round-up: Orla Keily, Moop, Hable Construction, Jack Gomme, Le Sportsac, & Kate Spade

1. joanna goddard April 23, 2009 at 2:53 pm #

yay! what a brilliant roundup. thank you sam!

2. Samantha Hahn April 23, 2009 at 3:26 pm #

thanks Joanna!
    It was your recommendation of the Moop bag that got me rolling. Love that bag.

3. A-skued April 26, 2009 at 5:37 am #

Excellent roundup. I used to design diaper bags and some were licensed Disney bags. But for some reason, as goofy as they were, people bought them.

I prefer simple and chic, like in your post.

I personally like simple but chic, like in your post.

4. A-SKUed April 26, 2009 at 5:45 am #

I prefer simple and chic, like in your post.

5. Samantha Hahn April 26, 2009 at 8:10 am #

that’s cool that you used to design diaper bags. I guess I understand that some moms want the bag to appeal to the baby but I personally would want one that suits me. Of course the stuff in the kid’s room will be babyish but the mom carries around the diaper bag….
    anyway….there’s no right way….everyone has their own style.

6. kelly April 26, 2009 at 8:16 am #

i love orla kiely bags. they’re super functional with little pockets for cell phone and camera and my fav feature is the key ring string. hmmm… i kind of want to go shopping now.

7. Samantha Hahn April 26, 2009 at 8:23 am #

oh gosh I love love love that Orla bag so much. It’s sooo expensive though. I know it’s my fault. I only picked super expensive bags for the round-up. But they’re all so nice!! I should save for that Orla one. I adore the Moop one too.

8. hoganfe handmade handbag originals June 13, 2009 at 2:31 am #