I recently asked Oliver Jeffers, one of my new favorite illustrators to answer some questions about his work. Oliver just launched a new site. Be sure to visit his shop and A World With Coffee project. I know you’ll be as obsessed with his work as I am! See more of my favorite images below the following interview:
1. Have you always loved art?
Yes I have always loved art, though I wasn’t always particularly knowledgeable or eloquent about why.
2. When you were little what was your favorite material to use?
Blue paint. On anything that didn’t move. And some things that did.
3. What made you decide to be an illustrator?
The thought that people would pay me to draw pictures was too good not to try.
4. Favorite illustrator of all time?
Too difficult to say that. It changes regularly.
5.What do people complement you most on- in your work?
It varies, from sense of humor, to use of color, to bizarreness, to its subtlety. I’ll take any compliment though.
6. What do you like best about your work?
That it pays my rent.
7. What’s your dream illustration project?
Believe it or not, I don’t have one. I always prefer to work on self generated projects, and its in that direction I daydream rather than an association with a commissioning client.
8. When you are not creating art what do you like to do?
play football (the European kind), eat, cook or drink with friends.